Alcoholic Ice Lollies
Summer is well and truly here, and we don’t know about you, but we are sweating profusely. On a hot weekend, it’s always hard to make the tricky choice between having a refreshing ice lolly, or a refreshing ice cold alcoholic drink, but have no fear because we have some recipes that combine both!
Whether you’d prefer a cheeky G&T ice lolly or a mojito popsicle, we’ve got you covered. But don’t forget, each lolly can actually contain the same amount of alcohol as a beer, so it might be best to avoid driving home and get a taxi instead!
WATERMELON MOJITO POPSICLES
There is nothing more refreshing than an ice cold cocktail and this Watermelon Mojito is utterly delicious! This recipe makes roughly 12 popsicles:
- 3 cups Watermelon, cubed
- 110ml freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
- 140ml White Rum
- 140ml Soda Water
- 12 large mint leaves , roughly chopped
Blend all ingredients on high until fully incorporated. Pour into popsicle molds (available at Sainsbury’s for about £1.50); cover and insert wooden sticks. Tip: apply a layer of foil over the top of the mold or lid of the mold allows placement of wooden sticks and they will not float out of the mold. Winner.
GIN AND TONIC LOLLIES
There’s nothing more refreshing than a G&T, so why not try making your very own G & T ice lollies! This recipe makes 8:
- 100g caster sugar
- 80ml gin
- Juice of 1 lime
- 225ml tonic water
- 4 slices cucumber, cut into half-moons
- 8 fresh raspberries
- Put the sugar with 50ml cold water in small saucepan and cook over a low/medium heat (don’t let it boil) until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool completely.
- When cool, put the sugar syrup in a jug with the gin, lime juice and tonic water, then mix.
- Put a cucumber slice and a raspberry into each of the lolly moulds, then pour the mixture evenly into the moulds.
- Add the lolly sticks and put in the freezer. Freeze until solid (ideally overnight).
ALDI PRE-MADE ICE LOLLIES
If you can’t be bothered with the hassle of making your own ice lollies, head to Aldi. The supermarket currently has two varieties on offer: Gin & Tonic as well as a Prosecco and Peach Bellini and they’re super tasty.
They’re also pretty damn strong. The lollies have a 4.5% ABV which is the same alcohol content as beer. Each 80ml Gin & Tonic Popsicle contains 11% gin and the 80ml Prosecco version is made up of 38% Prosecco and 18% Peach Puree. So be aware to not go not go over your limit!
What’s your favourite boozy ice lolly? Let us know @tweetjanes