Streaming – Welcome to the new age
Could we be seeing the end of albums, DVDs and terrestrial television? Our new writer, Claudia, takes a look at the rise of streaming services and shares some of the hottest new shows and singles coming soon to Netflix and Spotify during the autumn months.
As dramatic as it sounds, it is undeniable that these things are slowly being phased out by digital services. Take the music industry, for example – streaming is becoming not just more popular, but completely mainstream.
Streaming: playlists and films whenever, wherever
The draw is ad-free music on your phone or on your computer while at work, or whenever and wherever you want it. You can make your own playlists without the hassle of downloading or buying music. It also gives you quick access to new music at the push of a button, and tonnes of choice.
This trend has been exemplified by none other than Calvin Harris have announced that he won’t release any more studio-length albums and will start releasing singles instead. As one of the leading figures in both EDM and pop music, this decision represents a definite and forward-thinking shift towards streaming music online.
This trend isn’t just noticeable in the music industry – streaming services like Netflix are becoming increasingly popular. Sky TV is offering demand services to compete with the likes of BBC iPlayer and 4oD, and BBC three recently moved online. It’s a trend that is mirrored in the film and TV industry.
If you want to embrace this transition, here’s a helpful list of shows and single to stream on a night in during the approaching cold autumn months:
Netflix: new episodes to keep an eye our for in 2016
- Pretty Little Liars – end of series 7. The girls are back and this final series is more dramatic than ever with the addition of AD and Super A.
- Making a Murderer – season 2. This season is going to concentrate on Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey’s life post-conviction.
- Amanda Knox – premiere. This is the premiere of a documentary on the famous trial involving the murder of a female student. Set to be huge – check out our review of the trailer.
- Audrie & Daisy – premiere. Another hard-hitting documentary debuting on Netflix, which looks at the sexual assault of two high-school girls.
- Family Guy – season 14. The world’s favourite satirical cartoon has proved popular on Netflix, and the 14th season arrives on the 25th of September.
Find them on Netflix.
Spotify: keep an ear open for these hot new 2016 singles
- Emeli Sandé – Hurts. After a long break from music, Emeli Sandé is making a comeback and she’s better than ever in her new single.
- Calvin Harris – My way. The man of the hour has released yet another catchy dance track.
- Wiley – Can’t go wrong. This is an apt title for Wiley’s first track on his new album Godfather, after taking some time out. You can’t go wrong with the father (or the Godfather) of grime.
- Years and Years – Meteorite. This duo are no strangers to success and their first single in over a year not only appears in Bridget Jones’s Baby but is set to chart well
- Alunageorge – Leikeii47. Aluna’s new album I remember came out on the 16th of September. According to her it’s “more than your average party album”. Watch out for this single especially.
Discover them on Spotify.
What shows and singles are you streaming this autumn? Let us know – @tweetjanes.